Saturday, June 16, 2012

{Dairy Free} Cherry Ice Cream

Pin It Now!

Wait - dairy free ice cream?  Isn't that an oxymoron?  Nope!  This really is dairy free.  Not only is it dairy free, it's really, really good.  I mean really good.


Last week my mom and dad came to visit and brought with them a big bag of the most beautiful tart cherries from the cherry tree in their backyard.  This tree, planted decades ago when my grandpa built the house, is so special to our family.  I have wonderful memories of climbing in the tree with my cousins and swinging on the tire swing when I was a kid in Santa Fe.  Every time I eat cherries I am taken back to that very spot.

Aren't they gorgeous??
Believe it or not, I've never made ice cream.  Not ever.  So I wasn't confident in experimenting and coming up with my own recipe this time around.  I happened to have coconut milk in the pantry and found a recipe for coconut milk ice cream on the Whole Foods website.  Now that I know how easy the whole process is I have a feeling you'll be seeing quite a few ice cream recipes pop up on the blog this summer.  Do I hear any complaints?  I thought not.


I actually made the ice cream base and let it chill overnight before churning in the ice cream maker.  The coconut milk tends to separate a bit as it sits, so give it a quick stir before you get started.  While you're making this one I'll probably be in the kitchen messing around with new flavors...  Mint chip anyone?

Cherry Ice Cream
| Serves: 6-8 | Prep time: 5 mins. | Cook time: 8 mins. |
4 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
(2) 13.5 ounce cans coconut milk (light or regular)
2 tsp vanilla extract (or whatever other flavor you are in the mood for)
Giant handful of fresh cherries, pitted and quartered

In a good sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.  This takes some elbow grease (if you're a weakling like me) and a couple minutes.  Shake the coconut milk well and then dump it into the egg yolk/sugar mixture.  Whisk until combined.  Pour into a medium pot and cook on low/medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 8 minutes or so.)  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.  Transfer everything to a bowl and chill thoroughly.

When the mixture is chilled and your cherries are ready, it's time to rock and roll.  Process the ice cream mixture according to the instructions that accompany your ice cream maker.  When it's just about done churning, add in the cherry pieces and process until they are thoroughly mixed in.  At this point the ice cream will be the consistency of soft serve.  If you'd like it a bit more firm, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze prior to serving.



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm! I bought some cherries yesterday, taking me back in time to the old cherry tree! Your old aunt climbed those limbs a little girl too! =}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I love making homemade ice cream, I make a cinnamon ice cream every Thanksgiving. I can't wait to try this with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with coconut milk right now. So versatile! This is some awesome ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. I read and appreciate each one and will answer here. XO