Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sweet Potato + Spinach Hash {Breakfast for Dinner}

Pin It Now!

Today's recipe was born out of a desperate need for groceries.  I hadn't shopped, the house was a disaster of baby toys and I was too tired to deal with going to the market for anything.  Necessity is the mother of invention, right?  I had a single sweet potato, a couple handfuls of spinach leftover from making baked spaghetti, and a few eggs.  I thought to myself, this will either be awesome or a total flop. 




Guys.  It's awesome.  First off, there's nothing better than a runny egg yolk, and when in doubt, put an egg on it!  The first time I made this I didn't have any lemon and it was still delicious.  However, the second time I made it, I squeezed a lemon over the top of the hash before adding the egg and it was over-the-top amazing.  The lemon juice and the egg yolk combine and make an incredible sauce, and the tartness of the lemon gives the dish a nice bright note.  I'm starting to sound like I watch too much Chopped (I do.) so I'll shut my yap and get to it.

Run, don't walk.  Make this.  Now.



Sweet Potato + Spinach Hash with Egg
| Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins. | Serves: 2 |
1 sweet potato, peeled + diced
A few handfuls of fresh spinash
2 eggs
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Pinch of nutmeg

Heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a medium skillet.  Peel and dice the sweet potato.  When the oil is hot, add in the sweet potato, sprinkle with salt and a pinch of nutmeg.  Saute, stirring occasionally, until beginning to caramelize, about 5 mins.  Add in 1/2 c water and continue to cook until water has evaporated and potatoes are soft, about 3-5 mins.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.  Add the spinach to the same pan, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and steam until wilted, about 2 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a non-stick pan and cook the eggs to desired temperature.  While the eggs finish up, add the sweet potato back to the skilled and combine with spinach.  Squeeze lemon juice over the combination, serve it up and enjoy!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. I read and appreciate each one and will answer here. XO